Crystal Cruises Review (2019 Update)
Offering the best of both worlds, Crystal Cruises delivers an intimate, upscale cruising experience on a variety of ships with itineraries that span the globe. The line offers a unique blend of luxury coupled with the amenities and venues typically found on much larger vessels. With just 848 and 980 passengers apiece, Crystal’s two classic ships, Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity, globetrot around the world, spending significant time in the Caribbean, Alaska, Europe and New England and Canada, not to mention voyages to the Far East, the South Pacific and South America. The company also operates world cruises, and has completed a transit of the fabled Northwest Passage.
In 2015, Crystal Cruises mounted an aggressive expansion campaign that saw the introduction of Crystal Esprit; a purpose-built expedition vessel that visits off-the-beaten-path ports of call in the Seychelles and the Mediterranean, and which even carries its own submarine. In 2016, Crystal branched off into another endeavor, river cruising. To see more about Crystal River Cruises, check out our sister site.
And speaking of endeavors, Crystal will launch a new expedition ship in 2020. Crystal Endeavor will sail voyages ranging from 10-28 nights, and will visit Antarctica; Japan; the Russian Far East, Aleutian Islands and Alaska; Australia/Tasmania and New Zealand; Indonesia and the Indian Ocean; Norway and the United Kingdom; Western Europe; Canary Islands and Atlantic; and South America.
Dining On Crystal Cruises
Food, and the lavish table settings and smart service that come along with it, is a highlight of a Crystal cruise. Each ship has an elegant formal dining room with two seatings as well as three chic alternative restaurants: an Italian venue inspired by Piero Selvaggio of Valentino in Los Angeles and two pan-Asian restaurants featuring cuisine by renowned master chef Nobu Matsuhisa, including a sushi bar. Crystal Serenity also offers Tastes on the Lido Deck for casual dinners. Also see: Dining On Crystal Symphony, Prego & Other Options
See related video: Crystal Symphony’s Silk Road & Sushi Bar, But Is It A Real Nobu Experience?
The Bistro offers specialty coffees and a delectable spread of pastries, cheese and cold cuts. Evenings, The Bistro features petit desserts and cheeses.
There’s also a poolside grill serving everything from salmon burgers to tuna melts until 6 p.m. Enjoy the daily elaborate high tea service and the great themed luncheon buffets that are legendary in cruise circles.
Activities Galore On Crystal Cruises
Crystal’s impressive roster of activities is another high point. A typical Crystal cruise hosts four or five accomplished lecturers, from authors to politicians, scientists and other luminaries, as well as complimentary computer training classes, Berlitz language classes and Yamaha keyboard instruction.
Sign up for art classes conducted by the Parsons School of Design and wellness programs organized by the Cleveland Clinic and the Tai Chi Cultural Center. Further, there are dozens of themed sailings spread over the year and focused, food and wine, art, film, dance, jazz, wellness, and other subjects.
For more physical pursuits, large oceanview gyms are stocked with the latest equipment and offer complimentary classes like spinning, yoga and pilates. There are also golf-driving nets, a putting green, paddle-tennis courts, shuffleboard and walks along the 360-degree Promenade Decks.
Multiple entertainment venues include a theater for production shows, plus several romantic lounges, a dance club, a couple of bars and a spacious casino.
Family Cruising On Crystal Cruises
Of all the luxury lines, Crystal does the most for families with bright playrooms and supervised activities whenever demand calls for ages 3 and up. Teens also get their own space and you can borrow kiddy books and videos in the library. Anytime there are 10 children on the ship, there is a camp counselor, and on summer cruises, Crystal may have as many as 10 camp counselors and three different age levels for the programs – 3 to 8, 9 to 12 and teens.
Staterooms onboard Crystal Cruises
Though considered the largest true luxury vessels in high-end cruise market, the cabins aren’t as roomy as they are aboard Crystal’s smaller high-end peers (ie, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Silversea Cruises, and Seabourn). Still, the recently refurbished cabins are comfortable, and all categories have a mini-fridge, exceptionally comfy bedding and in-cabin movies that can be checked out in the library. Crystal also holds an added advantage over some of their competitors, having redone staterooms and suites on both Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony multiple times in order to keep up with current trends. Thus, these accommodations have a very new, modern feel when compared with some of their competitors.
These People Will Love Crystal Cruises
- People who like to be pampered. Staff strive to make your Crystal cruise vacation the perfect one by anticipating your needs for luxury and pampering. You can expect superior service on Crystal Cruises.
- People who like to learn. From acting workshops to foreign language classes, Crystal Cruises offers its guests opportunities to enrich their mind, body and spirt.
- Healthy Diners. Crystal Cruises went trans-fat free in response to a growing public health concern that associates trans-fats with increased risk of coronary heart disease. Low-carbohydrate menus also are available for all meals in all dining venues.
- World cruisers. Crystal Cruises offers world cruises of more than 100 days.
What’s Included On Crystal Cruises
- All meals, from classic two-seating dinners in the main dining room to specialty dinner restaurants for more intimate evenings. Bottled water, soft drinks and specialty coffees are served complimentary, as are all alcoholic beverages.
- Fitness Center and Crystal Spa, featuring the high seas’ only Feng Shui-inspired spa. Readers of Conde Nast Travel gave top honors to Crystal Cruises’ spas, naming them World’s Best Cruise Line Spa. Complimentary instruction in such classes as yoga and Pilates.
- Entertainment, including dazzling production shows as well as celebrity entertainers and speakers. Watch movies on the big screen in the Hollywood Theatre.
- Course Work. One of Crystal’s most popular programs is its Creative Learning Institute, offering a range of classes and workshops to expand your knowledge in an entertaining, hands-on style.
- Alcohol and gratuities. Crystal went all-inclusive back in 2012.
Destinations Served By Crystal Cruises
- Australia & New Zealand
- Canada & New England
- Northern Europe
- Panama Canal
- South America
- South Pacific
- West Coast
- World Cruise
Crystal Cruises ReviewsTo read a review of a particular ship, click the link under "Read the Review." If applicable, our Live Voyage Reports offer a day-by-day overview of an actual cruise onboard. In some cases, there may be more than one report, to be sure to see if your favorite destination is represented.
|Live Voyage Report
|Crystal Serenity Review
|Crystal Symphony Review
|Crystal Esprit Review
Want Help With Your Crystal Cruise?
Complete the form for special savings or added perks that I may be able to obtain from Avid Cruiser's travel partners.